We have a slightly clogged drain in our bathroom sink. No big deal. The water just drains a little slowly, that's all. So I picked up some drain opener when I was at Smith's today. It says right there on the front of the bottle that it's safe for pipes. Fabulous. I like to keep my pipes nice and safe.
I just poured a generous amount of the stuff down my sink and thought I'd read the gigantic warning in huge black letters on the back of the bottle.
"Keep out of reach of children (well duh). Harmful if swallowed (again, duh). May burn eyes, skin, and mucous membranes on contact (ok, that's a little scary). This produce may release hazardous gases or cause a violent eruption from drain. If this happens, leave area immediately!"
Really? Just by pouring that stuff down my drain, the sink will start violently erupting and spewing hazardous gases into my home? Yes, I think it might be a good idea to leave the area immediately if this does happen. I'm thinking slow drainage is better than violent eruptions. Oh well, if the next time you see me I am without eyebrows, or eyes for that matter, at least you can rest assured that our pipes are safe.
Baby trey
14 years ago
9 comments:
LOL--I hope you still have eyebrows and eyes. You're too funny.
I should have a similar warning on me.
so did it erupt or not i am left in suspense!Im so glad to have found your blog by the way and will visit often
Clean pipes ARE priority.
I wish children came with warning lables.
I say..FILM IT! Explosions are fun!
DOn't pour that crap down your pipes. That is like asking a drug dealer if the drugs are safe.
Just open your cabnet there is a little screwie deal you can undo with your hand. Un screw it. YOur drain plug you may have to loosen by some kind of wing nut under there. Loosen that (no tools required)
It will be full of all kinds of black stinky crud. Get a wad of paper towel and push it through the pipe part that will come off. Then rinse it at your kitchen sink, since the bathroom sink will be out of commission.
Also before you take it off, place a bucket under the pipe or some water will spill into your cabnet.
Discard discustion paper towel wad. Replace pipes turining until tight with your hand.
Then your sink will be good as new.
You are welcome. Just call me Bob Vila.
Um, Kristin, I'd rather have a violently exploding sink that do all that icky work. Thanks though, Bob Wardle.
My mom uses a cup a baking soda and a cup of vingegar. Let it sit and bubble over and down the drain for a while and then flush it down with a quart of hot water. Much safer. And then you can unscrew it and get the rest of the junk out. Best of luck!
I have a tool you stick down into the drain and when you pull it out all of the gunk comes out with it. It is very easy to use and does not require any hard work or hazardous chemicals. It is a little disgusting though. I will let you borrow it.
Post a Comment