Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Whole Hand Old

I can't believe it's been 5 years since our first little guy was born! This one has done things on his own time table since the very beginning. First, I was so shocked to find out I was even pregnant with him. I went to the doctor and the nurse said, "Congratulations. You are due on January 21." I was quite horrified seeing as January is right in the middle of the school year, and being a school teacher, that wasn't good. I was hoping for a summer baby so I wouldn't have to take maternity leave, but he decided to come several months earlier than we planned.

As January 21 approached, I became so anxious to have our little boy that I started taking drastic measures to get him out. I rode 4 wheelers, did yoga, jumped on my parents trampoline, ate spicy foods, and had a massage therapist give me some labor inducing hand massage. Nothing worked. I started maternity leave on my due date, not wanting to be at the chalkboard and have my water break. I thought that might tramatize the students. So then we waited. I sat at home in our apartment in Vegas watching "A Baby Story" on TLC and crying because all these ladies on the TV were having babies and mine didn't want to come out. I wasted a whole 2 weeks of maternity leave watching other people have babies! My doctor finally decided it was time to induce me when we were about 9 days overdue. The induction didn't work, however. Isaac was bound and determined to stay where he was. So, at 2:30 am on Saturday, January 31, the doctors went in and got the little fella out via emergency C-section.

Isaac was 8 lbs 9 oz and very bald! Even though he was so big, he had to spend the first 3 days of life in the NICU because he wasn't getting enough oxygen. He cost us a pretty penny and put us through a whole bunch of stress there at the start, but he's been an absolute joy ever since!
This is Isaac's birthday cake. He wanted a basketball, but I wasn't in the mood to make orange and black frosting, so we went with baseball instead.

Isaac and a few of his friends and cousins went to Bouncing off the Walls for his birthday. They had so much fun and got a ton of energy out, which is always nice in the winter.
This is Isaac, his cousin Jacob (who was due 10 days after him but ended up being born 6 days before him), and his friend Chase from across the street.

And here is my hansome little man on his birthday. He has the sweetest smile and such a cute little twinkle in his eyes! You can't help but love him! So, in honor of Isaac's 5th birthday, here is some fun information about our firstborn:
Favorite food: fish (preferably fish he's caught himself)
Favorite color: blue and orange
Favorite movie: Ice Age and Nightmare before Christmas
Favorite hobby: wrestling with Daddy and listening to books on CD
Favorite sport: he loves all sports, just like his dad!
Favorite friends: Alayna, Jacob, Chase, Clarissa, Brooklyn, Hailey, Sydney
Favorite song: Viva la Vida (or however you spell that Coldplay song)
Favorite place: St. George
Favorite season: winter
Common nicknames: Buddy, bubbs, Isaac-a-roodoo, Izeek, Mr. Isaac
Isaac really is the perfect son! He is helpful, almost to the point of being a bit too helpful sometimes. He loves to play with his sister and baby brother and is such a wonderful example to them. He's fabulous at cleaning toilets and can really make them shine (he begs to do this chore, by the way). He's one of the smartest little boys I know and is already reading and doing math. He is really looking forward to learning more about numbers when he goes to school (where did this kid come from?). He loves stories, books, music, and dumb jokes. He's a good friend and a mean Dora Candyland player. He's competative, hilarious, and yes, still bald. We are so proud of our Isaac and are very excited to see what amazing things he accomplishes in his life. We love you, buddy! Happy Birthday!!!

5 comments:

Misty said...

Happy Birthday Isaac.. And Just as you mother said... you are a true joy... we a glad to know you buddy!

Anonymous said...

Please give Issac my best Birthday Wishes!

Leslie said...

Sorry about that birth order thing. I knew when my water broke in the middle of the night that you were going to be mad. I blame it all on your doctor who wouldn't induce you sooner :0) Anyway, I am so happy that Jacob has such a great best friend and cousin. We love Isaac.

Sheryl said...

Happy Birthday Isaac. It's a good thing you stopped giving your mom so much trouble ;) I'm glad he's good at scrubbing toilets...I think that'll be a great job for Blake someday too.

Di said...

Happy belated birthday Isaac! He honestly is one of the smartest and funniest kids I know. He was always my favorite Joy School student (also the only one who paid attention). AND a most entertaining soccer player (remember when he got stuck in the partition?) Brooklyn is so happy to have Isaac as a friend :)