Sunday, April 5, 2009

Me and my Davie

As a general rule, I'm pretty unexcitable. I get stressed out fairly easily by my children, sure, but my personality is quite calm and serene otherwise. I'm never too down, never too up. I can get pretty charged at a Utah State basketball game or when I hear a good Pat Benatar song, but that's about it. I float through life on a calm, fluffy, uneffected little cloud and I look at those "passionate" type people with a mixture of annoyance, wonder, and fear. Last week, my mom (who, by the way, fits under the "excitable" column) and I went to the David Archuleta concert. Apparently I was the only even keeled person at the E Center that day. Well, me and the 90 year old grandmother who sat 4 seats down from us. Every other person, and by person I mean pre-teen girl or post-menapausal woman (because that's the demographic of most diehard Archie fans), was ubber excited to be there.

Don't get me wrong, now. I like David Archuleta. I think he is a very talented, sweet, likable young man and I hope he has a long and successful career. I was happy to be at the concert and I was very impressed with his ability to entertain such a large crowd. I did not, however, sing along to the songs. I didn't scream and fling my arms about when he came onto the stage. I didn't so much as head bob. I clapped after each song, yes. I looked at my mom a few times and said such things as "I liked that song" or "He has a good voice" but that was about as far as it went. Again, not because I don't like David and not because I didn't have lots of fun. I'm just not excitable.

Well, me and my unexcitable self were squashed in between a surprisingly hormonal 9-year-old girl wearing a gigantic David t-shirt, standing on her chair, flinging her arms about and screaming "I LOVE YOU, ARCHU!!!!" every couple of minutes and my mom, who was equally as hormonal and exuberant, minus the t-shirt and chair standing. I did catch sight of a pair of lacy granny panties flying onto the stage from my mother's direction, but I pretended not to notice. For those of you who don't know, my mom is a David groupie. This was her second concert in a week and she can make quite a scene when her David is perfoming. She dances, she sings, she cries when he looks in her direction. You know, typical 50-year-old grandma type stuff.

Anyway, we went to the concert, we had lots of fun, and we survived the shrill screaming of thousands of young girls. So, here are some pictures I took from our 5th row, center stage, floor seats. We were close enough to look up the young lad's nose, mind you. Lots of fun. Thanks for the ticket, mom!


I think he looks like a little monkey in this picture!


Don't I have some amazing photog skills? You want to hire me for your next family event, don't you.


12 comments:

Chrystal said...

You need to be published! I can't stop smiling - even after getting the good laughs out - sooooo funny!! Sounds pretty fun too! (Excitable or otherwise...) Glad you enjoyed the time with your mom. Thanks for sharing this adorable story and great pics!

Deirdra said...

Every post makes me laugh! I can imagine your mom, she is too funny. My mom also went and took my 2 nieces. She loved it and I imagine she was probably a tad bit crazy as well. He is a darling little fella.

Lindsey said...

HA! All I can say is that's hilarious!!

Kristin Sokol said...

You know I think David is a cute as can be....but, you're right....He really could be the missing link when dicussing the mutation of the human race from apes to man.

Taylor Family said...

Erika, you could make money as a writer, not kidding.

Misty said...

Love it.... Great info.... Loved the tid-bit on Archi demographics... it explains why I, like you would have been very "un-excitable"!

Lunch Next week?

Di said...

LOL! At the very least it would have been entertaining just seeing the fans. I'm glad you had a good time and a night away. Those ARE great pictures BTW and I WOULD like you to take our next family portrait...just as soon as I look less Schrek-ish.

Misty Moncur said...

Yeah, he looks like a monkey in that picture. And what's with his right hand? What's it doing?

Erika W said...

Ha ha ha, Misty! I didn't even notice his right hand! He looks like he's holding a pretend drink, kind of like a pantomime.

Sheryl said...

funny post--sweet seats

Sterling said...

What are you? My twin seperated at birth? I used to feel out of place at events like this. Then, I discovered the joy of watching the crowd, not the performer. So, tell me... did he have lots of nose hairs?

Erika W said...

This particular crowd was definitely entertaining, in a scary sort of way. The screaming pre-teens I understood. It was the screaming 55-year-old women that worried me. And as for the nose hairs, I wasn't able to get a good look through all the flashing lights. I'm guessing, though, that since he's only 18, the excessive nose hairs won't show up for a couple more decades.