Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dead Brain Cells

So, as I've gotten into reading other people's blogs, I have found that many people can take some random subject and turn it into a very interesting look into the inner workings of their brains. Reflecting on my own blog, I seem to only focus on my house, my family, my yard, etc. All worthy topics, but not very original. So, today I thought I'd sit down at the computer and think of some original, fascinating topic to begin an open and educational blogging dialogue about. Some idea that comes from my own functioning brain and has nothing to do with kids, husbands, or housework. I have been sitting here for a very long time, and still no original thought has entered my head. I'm thinking about the laundry piled up on my bed, the dust on my TV, the shirt I want to buy, and whether or not to eat at Chick-Fil-A for the third time in a week. I'm also wondering what kind of food art Alayna is creating with her yogurt right now. Never mind, she just walked in and it appears to be body art with the yogurt today. That's a nice change from floor and table yogurt art. See what I mean?! I appear to be totally incapable of original thought outside of the world of children and housekeeping. Should I be worried? Does this lack of ideas come from dead pregnancy brain cells, or was I never that creative to begin with? I could swear there was a time in my life when I was witty, smart, and interesting. What happened, and what can I do about it?

11 comments:

Deirdra said...

I can join the club. I'm the most boring blogger in the world. But in actuality I think you are creative and witty, so don't be ashamed :) Beautiful TV by the way, every man will envy it!

Sheryl said...

You are smart, creative, and witty...you crack me up! I love to read your blog b/c it reminds me of what a fun friend you are. Blogs are just to shared your life with others and I think yours is great.

Dan said...

Speaking as one who only writes about strange, random subjects, I'd like to have more "normal" things to write about.

But, until that happens, enjoy my latest random post:

http://romeifyouwantto.blogspot.com/2008/06/nerds.html

Misty said...

Hey, I feel the same way and I'm not pregnant so who knows, maybe it is a survival tactic used by the brains of stay at home moms. It is the only way that we stay content with our humdrum lives and forget about all the fascinating things in the world beyond home!

Stacy Mike and Thalia Talbot said...

Maybe you need a break. I think you should treat yourself to a facial or a massage and just take a few minutes to relax and remember the fun, brilliant person that you are-you totally deserve it!

Destination Davis said...

AMEN!!! I've been feeling the same way about myself for weeks!!! I think you are fabulous. The fact that you are willing to blog about these things prove that you are not what you say you are. Don't let others intimidate you, you are magnificant! Love ya!

Taylor Family said...

I know what you mean. I was just reading through some of the letters I wrote my family when I was on my mission. I thought, "Hey, I used to be somewhat witty and interesting in my writing." I don't know what's happened since then, but if I had to write anything intelligent I'd be in trouble.

Di said...

No need to worry Erika, you are hilarious! I love reading your posts because you make everyday junk sound really funny...but yes, pregnancy does kill brain cells. At least that's what they told me to make me feel better...

Leslie said...

It is a fact, there is such a thing as Mommy Brain. I saw it on Good Things Utah. When you are pregnant your brain tissue swells, just like the rest of you, which causes it to function below normal. No need to worry though, it should return to normal eventually. Just enjoy being able to blame everything on pregnancy for now.

Chrystal said...

I bet it is because you're comparing yourself to Di...she is uniquely talented, but she isn't the only hilarious blogger..you've cracked me up plenty of times. My sister-in-law is quite genius too (Absolute Mayehm blog) I guess we have to ask, do I write to entertain or to record, reminisce and connect? For me it is the latter since in comparison others seem to be the 'last comic standing' and I wouldn't make the first cut!

Kristin Sokol said...

As one who occasionaly writes about stray thoughts...I say keep trying. It is really good for your mommy brain to be thinking and cultivating thoughts about something else.

Look for odd things in public and write about them. Things you see on TV, write about that.

You blog is very entertaining alrady. I'd love to see you cover more ground.

It's good to have a mix of subjects. Although my favorite of your posts are usually about the mud cats and mascots.