After the kids went to bed on Saturday night, Jason and our neighbors set up a projector outside on our garage and had a wicked Wii golf tourament. I decided just to let the guys play, seeing as "Little Women" was on TV and I really do love that show. I especially love how creepy Claire Daynes is. She could not have made the roll of Beth more frightening. Really, watch it next Halloween and tell me you aren't scared.
Anyway, after the movie, my wonderful night owl friend Diana and her husband came over. It was about midnight at this point so I really was planning on going to bed, but I thought, what the heck? So I went out and got involved in the fast and furious world of Wii golf. There were a few other neighbors out playing too, and, being extremely late, we got to talking about weird and wonderful things. Someone brought up the question of what they would like to do if they had $1 million. Something about building a giant bat cave under the neighborhood with all sorts of tunnels to church and what not.
Well, it got me thinking. What would I do with a million dollars? Knowing me, I would probably do something practical, like buy a big nice house with 5 garages (OK, the 5 garages would by Isaac's dream, but still), or save for my children's education, or buy a brand new, never been driven Honda Odyssey. I could buy an awful lot of bundt cakes - the big ones, not just the bundlets! I would definitely pay someone to cut my hair real nice and take me shopping to find clothes that actually fit me and are from this decade. Or even clothes that match, really. I could get myself one of those Kitchenaid mixers. Those look pretty cool. Travel, definitely. Europe, cruises, Australia, the dinosaur museum in Vernal - all places I want to go. But after talking to my friends and hearing their fantastical ideas, I realized that if I had a million dollars, I'd probably just put most of it in savings, really. I know, I'm boring and completely unimaginative, but that's just me. And I wouldn't be any happier than I already am. OK, I may be a little happier with a big house, new van, sassy hair, and a lot of German chocolate and bundt cakes coursing through my veins, but not much. I have a good, no, great life as is.
But still, it's an interesting thought and I'd like to hear what you all would do with a nice chunck of change. Leave me a post, whether realistic, creative, inventive, or just plain nuts.
Baby trey
14 years ago
11 comments:
I'd pay off our law school debt, buy a house, a car big enough for the family, get kids' educations all taken care of, and put the rest in saving for kids' wedding, etc. I'm sure I'd do some shopping and traveling and eating at nice expensive restaurants too (I've wanted to go to The Melting Pot forever). But, as I don't see getting $1 million anytime soon, I'm left hoping that someone will nominate me for What Not to Wear. I'm in need!
Maybe we could nominate ourselves as the worst dressed pair of best friends in North America. I'm sure we have to at least be in the top 10! You must admit, though. We've come a very long way from where we were fashion wise. I still have plenty of old pictures fom middle school that prove that you and I are both a whole lot better looking now than in the early 90's.
I love your bundt cake obsession! I must try one of these fabulous cakes.
Ok, I would build a bat cave under my exsisting house because who would suspect? And I would purchase condos in key locations, raise alpacas, and throw the awesomest party in my backyard this world has ever seen. There would be bands, and ponys, someone making tamales, and plenty of these bundt cakes I hear tell of. And that is how I would live if I had a million dollars.
Hey, I know a guy who makes really great tamales. His name is Jesus and he also hangs drywall. I'm sure you've heard of him. I'm also sure he'd make tamales in your backyard next to ponies and a dunk tank. After all, he made them in my basement whilest hanging sheetrock. Man, some people get all the talent!
Ok I love this post. I would definitely pay off the house, do a fun remodel job and put all our landscaping in. I would update all our vehichles, and SAVE for the cost of my girly girl's wedding! (:
I am definitely going shopping and getting a new do with you though-and the best place to do that is NY so of course airfare and WICKED tickets would be a must do!
I'd probably help some of my family members with their financial struggles, finish our basement, take a great European vacation, make a lds music recording, and add to our existing investments and college funds...oh, and get Jared a new car. But in alternate reality, I would move to Cali by my sister and by us homes next door to each other!! HA HA..My man wouldn't move there in this reality..sigh...
I'd still eat macaroni and cheese, just more of it. And I'd still eat ketchup, but it would be fancy ketchup. And I'd get an emu. And a mink coat, but not a real mink coat because that's cruel. Okay, I stole all that from Barenaked Ladies (I think). I love that you would just be exactly the same with a million dollars.
A new wardrobe for Jake and myself (we both need an update), pay off the house, by my minivan, and maybe a few other little things I've wanted. I'm sure Jake would have all sorts of investment and savings plan for it.
As one who was at the Wii party and a part of the convo, I'll have to chime in...
First, I'd spend hundreds of thousands on an educational television campaign to get any lingering thirty somethings to stop using that annoying "Not!" phrase from the 90's. It was never funny then and is exponentially worste now. Especially when used in church talks. The suffering has got to stop! Innocent children are exposed! I'm interested in the greater good, not the accolades that would surely follow, so anonymity would be a important.
Then, I'd put the rest in the bank. Then I could look down on most people around me and say kinda snobby, double-meaning rude things. Then people would wonder to themselves why I think I'm such a big deal. Little would they know that I am a big deal, with lots of money and select philanthropic vocabulary eradications under my belt to prove it.
I would start a foundation to help homeless children...
Erika you seriously crack me up! German chocolate and bunt cakes? What about Marie Callendar pies? I think you should buy into the franchise and give me all the free pies I want. And if you ever get to go to the dinosaur museum take me with you! I'd love to go! I'm boring too. I'd probably give my million to Greg for his business ideas and cross my fingers!
Post a Comment