Monday, July 28, 2008

These are a few of J's favorite things...

It has been kind of a slow news week around here, so as I got to thinking about my tired old blog and what I might write about, it hit me. This is supposed to be a family blog, right? And I do write about my kids a whole lot, and I sometimes write about myself, but I rarely include Jason in the blog. I'm sure he would prefer it that way, but like I said, it's been a slow news week. So for those of you out there who don't know Jason, or would like to know him better, or know him a little too well, this post is for you. He probably won't ever look at it, so I could write pretty much anything. But I'll try to keep it as accurate as possible.


Some of Jason's current favorite things, in no particular order, are:

Jaycee Carroll. Jason has a bit of a "man crush" on Jaycee and I won't at all be surprised if the name Jaycee comes up a time or two as we try to decided on a name for our offspring. Sure, he talks about him constantly and makes certain the DVR's recording anything and everything that could possibly include a shot of Jaycee. Yes, he has made up a special chant with Jaycee's name and encourages Isaac to go around the house, store, church, yard, etc. chanting the chant. Of course, he is considering relocating our family to whichever European country finally decides to draft Jaycee. But it's a harmless little obsession from one Aggie fan to another. Right? (OK, I exaggerated the obsession a bit. But Jaycee Carroll really does belong at the top of his "favorites" list.)

Giant Pumpkins. Jason loves growing giant pumpkins. He loves it so much, in fact, that he actually joined a little group known as the Utah Giant Pumpkin Growers Association. He even has the t-shirt. Come the end of September/first of October, about the same time as our son is due, he will be getting very excited about the color, weight, and shape of his prized pumpkins. Don't be surprised if he calls you to report on the stats of our new baby around harvest time and gets it all mixed up with the stats of his pumpkin. It is kind of an insane hobby, if you ask me, but it does keep him off the streets.

Neighborhood Golf. Ok, so I just mentioned that pumpkin growing keeps Jason off the streets, but that isn't entirely true. Remember back in elementary school when marbles were really poplular. And then four square kind of took over as the recess game of choice. Well, living in our neighborhood is kind of like being back in elementary school. Or like being in a strange sort of college frat. There are a bunch of 30 somethings who like to get together and play strange childish games with one another during the summer. Last year it was building bonfires, the year before that it was frisbee. This year happens to be yard golfing. All the guys get one club, a nerf golf ball, and a hoola hoop (I think this is how it goes). They take turns hitting the ball into other people's yards or over to the park or through the hoop, and somehow someone wins in the end. I've never watched long enough to figure out the logistics of it, but I do know that it is posessing these fine gentlemen and taking over their evenings completely. Some wives make their husbands eat dinner before they can play and others make them restrict their playing to weekends only. But a few, Jason included, are outside golfing at least 4 days a week. Oh, to be a man! So simple, so innocent, so childlike.

11 comments:

Misty said...

love it!!! how is the old one anyways? we need to hang out asap!
Love you guys!

Annie Jensen said...

LOL! This post rules. Jason, you make a great neighborhood ring leader in all games juvenile. You da man-child!

Julie said...

What can I say- that's why I love my CSO!!!

I leave the 18th so lets plan something quick okay?

Chrystal said...

Nice to meet you Jason! haa haa...I think I just married a man...not a man-child...I'm often trying to show him some of the fun that can be had doing kid stuff...and it is different from the kid stuff he grew up with - like computer games, Atari games, or boy scout sport races that he always won in his little St. George town. We call him "J" too! N-E-Ways..have fun swingin' your club tonight J!

Di said...

LOL! I love this post Erika :) Jason is a lot of fun. He knocked on our door the other night to announce the "Rose Creek Open". I'm glad he gets Andy out of the house- its good for him to play a little more. And frankly, if it were socially acceptable I'd be out there playing yard golf too.

Leslie said...

This is so Jason. I think every where he goes people end up playing strange games. I myself have seen my husband get caught up in several of these games. We also have a giant pumpkin growing in our backyard. It is doing pretty well.

Dan said...

Some of my favorite memories are of cross-country bowling...

Anonymous said...

J and J have a "bromance"!

Erika W said...

So funny, Adeli! A bromance indeed! If I didn't feel so secure in my marriage I might be a little jealous of good old Jaycee. I must admit, he is pretty cute, in a "I'm 25 but look like I'm 15" kind of way.

Kristin Sokol said...

I had no idea he had such a big-boy crush on Aggies B-ball Action Jackson. Too bad he will most defentally be sent over seas to play. But hey, maybe you'll get a trip to Italy out of it. I hear they have a pretty good team.

FYI yard golf is tame compared to some of the games we played as kids and teenagers. I am just glad you guys ended up in a frat-house neighborhood. Jason needs the social interaciton.

Let's hear it for Slow news weeks at your house. That was a great post.

Stat Aggie said...

so what does it take to get an invite to this "Rose Creek Open" anyways?
... I've been trying to convince Tammy to use the name Jaycee for the last two kids (girl or boy). Whats wrong with that?
By the way, I kind of got away with it too ... well a little bit (Caleb Jason) is CJ (not quite JC, but close).