This is a shot of all the kids waiting in line just to get in to pay our money. The line wrapped around the outside of the building and into the parking lot. This line came after the insane line of cars waiting to get off the freeway. We were stuck in T.P. (short for toilet paper and Thanksgiving Point) traffic for a good 10 minutes, then waited another several minutes for a parking spot, then 25 minutes more just to get in to pay our money. And if there were those many lines with that many people, just imagine the state of the museum once we got inside. Chaos, I tell you. Utter madness!
The chillin's sitting on a dinosaur foot. Look how thrilled the older boys are. The four-year-old boys were the main reason I wanted to come in the first place, and they could not have been more miserable. After about 15 minutes of fighting crowds and looking at dead things, Isaac was begging, begging to go home! Worth the two dollars? I still don't know.
After a pleasant lunch of dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets at the Dino Cafe (another maddening event) we decided to hit the farm. This was supposed to be another venue for another day, but we all agreed that we were not going back, so we just got it all done at once. This little calf turned out to be the highlight of the entire day for Mr. Isaac. He loved feeding him sticks and getting the cow to lick his hand. Still, this is all he talks about when we talk about T.P. There are cows that live just behind our subdivision. Had I known this was all it would take to make this boy happy, we would have stayed in Herriman and fed our own cows!
We waited in line yet again, this time in the blazing hot sun for about 45 minutes, so the kids could get their free pony ride. Alayna loved it! Isaac liked the ponies, too, but he particularly liked the part when his horse started peeing right as I was about to come and get him off. After a day like this, what's a little horse urine splashed on your shoes? I tell you, the crowds, sun, strange-tasting and quite expensive processed dino nuggets, and smell of the farm would absolutely have been worth it if my kids had fun. But, I really don't know that they did. Neither one had anything good to say about the museum. The farm was OK, but at the end of the day, they were just hot, tired, hungry, and wanting home. I really believe that what my kids want most is just a day of playing games with mom at home. I really don't need to try and cram as many fabulous experiences into their little lives as possible, just give them some attention and relax. Another lesson learned the hard way!
11 comments:
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that wondered if it was worth the $2, but ultimately, I'm cheap. Hailey just wanted to run through the star hallway about 10 times. So far, that is the only positive thing that I have heard.
Sounds like a good day at Lagoon. Except there it is $40/person
Yes, well, we went to Lagoon last Saturday. Needless to say, I don't want to leave my home again for at least 3 weeks.
I couldn't agree more about kids just wanting mom's attention at home. Most day's if I ask Izzy whether she wants to stay home or go somewhere exciting, she'll choose stay home. Then of course she wants to play with me and I think it would be great to get stuff done, but that's a whole other issue. Anyway, attention at home and relaxation are fantastic! Hope the horse urine didn't leave permanent markings on the shoes, Mmmm :)
Yeah I remember when I was a kid we had fun about twice a year. Now it seems like if you don't try and do something extravagant with your children at least three times a week you are a bad parent and your kids are rotting away at home.
Just think...by the time our kids are parents, they'll be taking their kids to DisneyLand twice a week.
I whole heartedly agree. Thanksgiving point sucked. When I got home I was calling it Thanksgiving whats the Pointe.
Maybe next week we can all get together behind your subdivison and feed sticks to the cows.
Good to know. I haven't been brave enough to go, and now I probably won't have to be!
Too funny! Clarissa would have loved to run around and just be part of the crowd - I envy the mothers' whose children do prefer to be home...She wakes up every morning and asks - where are we going today, and when I tell her no where she starts to cry until I tell her she can have a friend over...Too bad we're in Cali right now - we could have joined you - I think the $2 would have been worth it for her to be able to 'go somewhere'...but I'm looking forward to preschool starting so I can be home with Brenna and she can still get her 'go' fix.
I totally agree with you. As we were walking to the car I asked Jacob if he had fun, thinking that at least if he enjoyed himself the whole experience would have been worth it, but he said, "Actually, mom, I kind of had a boring day". Thats great! We will never go back.
Give peace a chance! After reading all the comments I felt like I just had to give Thanksgiving Point a plug. Our first winter in Utah we bought a membership-and we have loved it. Every time we have gone we are practically the only ones there. My 3 year old can just run around and I don't have to worry about "reining" him in. The farm is fun, and so is the children's garden and outside ampitheater. It has been a good place for my over-active toddler. I agree, if you just go once it is definitely over-priced, but you can pay for your membership with about 3 visits.
Ok Erika I just have to tell you that Greg thinks you are flippin' hilarious! Yes, I've even over heard some of his phone conversations, "Hey, do you want to read the funniest blog?" and proceeds to tell how to get to your blog from ours. So congrats, that takes the pressure off me. Thanks for the tip about T.P. I've thought about going there but after reading your experience we'll just take a piece of bread with us to the canal and feed the ducks.
Post a Comment