Monday, June 29, 2009

Puppy Love



I'm a bit concerned about my two oldest children. At the ripe old ages of 5 and 3, they both feel they are in love with some neighbor kids of ours and have declared their intent to marry said neighbor kids.

Isaac has been a little Rico Suave for a couple years now, so his little romantic advances are nothing new. He is getting quite a bit more bold as time goes on, however. Last year, right in the middle of Sunbeams, he kissed a little girl in his primary class. Then he went and fell in love with a beautiful little blond in the ward, Clarissa, and has told us repeatedly of his commitment to marry her. He has loved this one since he was 4, which is a long time when you're only 5. Then last week he was playing in the playroom downstairs with our next door neighbor (who, at 7, is a much older woman) and was apparently having a fabulous time. He came out and told Jason, "Dad, I just kissed Sydney on the hand because I love her." I wasn't home at the time and didn't say anything to him about it. Well, the next morning over breakfast he blurts out, "Mom, I have to tell you something. I kissed Sydney on the hand last night. I think I'm going to marry her." So I, of course, informed him that there will be no more kissing until after his mission. He looked quite upset by this new rule and pleaded, "But I love her, mom! I love her!" Oh brother!!! So today, I'm tending his first love, Clarissa, and the kids are working on a puzzle together. He reaches over and grabs Clarissa's hand and says,"I'm gonna marry you." She looks at me as if to say, "HELP!" and continues to do the puzzle. As the afternoon has worn on, she seems to have warmed up to the idea. They watched Peter Pan with their arms around each other. The have taken many pretend pictures together with our broken camera. They hold hands when they walk anywhere. It's bizzare.

Alayna is another story. She has made her mind up to marry Isaac's best friend, Chase, from across the street. He is also playing at our house today and Alayna has become his little shadow. During Peter Pan, she says, "I'm sitting by Chase because we're getting married." Yikes! So I have Chase and Alayna sitting together and Isaac and Clarissa sitting together. I feel like I have to go down and chaperone Peter Pan for my hormonal 5 and 3 year olds!!! If Chase goes downstairs, Alayna says, "Wait for me, Chase. I have to come with you because we're getting married!" If Chase gets a drink, same thing. I don't think Chase is as on board with this weird display of affection. He just bonked Alayna on the head so she'd leave him alone for a second! Can't say that I blame him.

At this point, I don't know whether to be concerned or just laugh it off. Clarissa and Isaac will be in the same kindergarten class next year, so I guess time will tell how that relationship developes. Should be an interesting experience, for us as well as their poor teacher!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome Back!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Di said...

LOL! Apparently Huck and Brooklyn also intend to marry eachother, although their romantic gestures are more along the lines of putting eachother in headlocks. To each his own.

Chrystal said...

I can't stop smiling and laughing out loud! I read it to Jared and he is chuckling with me. For now, I choose to be amused at their adorable puppy love, but if Clarissa and Isaac do decide to start kissing, I may have to step in. The cutest part to me is how delighted Clarissa is by the attention - she isn't wise to the little detail that she's a head or two taller than Isaac (I'm sure she'll be taller than him for some time, but who knows, when puberty hits, he may catch up!) LOVE YOU GUYS!

Erika W said...

He could tell I was pretty darn serious about the whole kissing thing last week, so I don't think he'll be trying that little move again for a long time to come. I'm just banking on the fact that in a year or two, all members of the opposite sex will have cooties. Please let them have cooties! I don't think I can take 20 more years of this!

Kjersty said...

I was in love with a boy from the time I was 2 till I was 12. It was quite a tragety when he broke up with me for another girl in his own school, but then he found out the other girl didn't like him so he decided to LET me be his girlfriend again... I wasn't a fan of someone thinking they had the upper-hand and could hand out and revoke their love for me so quickly... I took the initiative and ended it before I lost my power in the relationship. Even at 12 I was a control freak. P.S. watch out for kissing tag... thats where it all started.

Anonymous said...

Your kids are darling and I wouldn't worry to much. They are young and innocent. With time they will grow to think that the opposite sex is discusting and gross. Happy Birthday by the way. Did you have fun on your semi-annual date?