Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This

OK, so maybe Mama didn't give any specifics when she said "days like this," but in Mama's defense, who could have predicted a day like this? Not me, certainly. This was a day for the old journal, if only I kept a journal. But as I don't, it has become a day for the blog. Allow me to elaborate...

Last weekend, Alayna's cousin and best friend, Alyssa, slept over at our house. On Saturday morning, the two giggly girls were eating breakfast and entertaining Eli whilst I attempted to get ready for the day. I was actually very pleased in the way the morning was panning out. Eli was so busy watching the girls be silly, he completely forgot to stand up in his high chair and climb out onto the tray like he usually does during mealtimes.

I could hear the girls jumping up and down and laughing very innocent-like, so I continued doing my hair and not supervising the frivolity. But, as almost always happens when it's all fun and games, someone lost an eye. Or, in our case, a tooth. And almost a nose. I heard Alyssa screaming bloody murder from the kitchen so I dropped my straightener and went running. Apparently, the jumping up and down had resulted in Alayna's chin meeting up with Alyssa's nose is a pretty hard-core collision. Alayna was so worried about Alyssa's well-being, she had completely forgotten about her own problem...a very loose tooth.

Alyssa ended up just fine in about 30 seconds, but a week after the incident, Alayna's tooth was still loose, and getting looser by the day. I didn't take her to the dentist immediately because, well, we've been down this road before. Two days before Thanksgiving last year, Isaac knocked Alayna's two front bottom teeth loose by pulling her around the floor on Jason's coat. The dentist said they would firm up in a couple weeks, which they did, so I figured it would be the same answer this time around. Not so.

Her tooth seemed so loose this morning when I was brushing her teeth, so I finally called the dentist and they got her in this afternoon for x-rays. So, after Isaac's "unusual pet day" at the elementary school, I packed all the kids in the car and headed to the dentist. The x-rays confirmed what I was dreading...her tooth needed to come out. It was completely cracked in 3 different places and would have resulted in a pretty nasty infection had we left it in much longer. Thus, my poor baby was hooked up to the nitrous and given some shots to numb her mouth. After much digging, the dentist finally recovered all the shattered pieces of her tooth and put the biggest one in a little box for us to take home. She was such a trooper and didn't shed a tear, unlike her mother.

The little sweetheart was so excited to show her tooth to her brother and get a fun prize from the treasure chest, she didn't make a peep about the pain. She did, however, puke all over the dentist office, me, herself, her new shoes that she had gotten earlier today, her tooth, and her treasure chest prize, all thanks to the lovely effects of the nitrous. I appologized to the office assistant, wiped up as much puke as I could, paid my money, and ran. Good times. Good, good times.

So, here is a picture of the new Alayna. I have a feeling Jason and I are both going to be heartbroken about this for a long, long time. She is our beautiful little girl with the sparkling princess eyes and dazzling smile. She's still beautiful, of course, but now in a hockey player sort of way. We'd better get used to this new smile, because we'll be seeing it every day for the next 3 years or so until the new tooth moves in.
She and Isaac are both very excited to see what the tooth fairy is going to bring in exchange for this gem. The poor girl has been through a lot today. That tooth fairy better be good to her!

10 comments:

monique said...

On the bright side she gets a visit from the tooth fairy before her older brother! That's every little girls dream, well besides the hockey player part. But at least it's a bottom tooth.

trishanna said...

such a sad story. she does have a tough biker chick look now that i kinda like!

Anonymous said...

She's one "tough little cookie".
Love her new smile.Did the tooth fairy bring her a pony?

Erika W said...

No pony, but she did bring her a dollar bill. Alayna was beside herself when she saw a whole dollar under her pillow. Isaac actually slept in Alayna's room at the foot of her bed so he could catch the tooth fairy. Too bad for him. Our tooth fairy is stealth.

My worry now is that I've set the bar too high. I can't afford to pay a dollar for all these teeth that are going to be falling out over the next few years, especially if these children keep knocking them out prematurely! I wonder if they'll accept Monopoly money?

Sheryl said...

Thankfully it was a baby tooth :) I am glad she was such a trooper!

Di said...

Oh Erika! So sad! She is still a beautiful princess, but now she has street cred. I lost my top two teeth in a rocking chair incident when I was four...and check me out.

Sorry, I guess that's not very helpful.

Erika W said...

Good point, Di. You just can't underestimate the power of street cred as it applies to the preschool population. She is gonna be first in line for snack time from now on, I'm thinking. She'll have all the other 3-year-old wettin' their Pull-Ups when she flashes those pearly whites (and gaping hole).

Chrystal said...

With her hair down and her missing tooth she looks soo much older! I know Isaac is most disappointed that she beat him in losing a tooth, but he is not doing his 'older-brother' position any favors by believing he'll catch the tooth fairy. Hee hee -- I love the innocence of kids - Clarissa said she'd maybe see the tooth fairy too. Soo cute! Alayna is so beautiful, missing tooth besides.

treehugger said...

Oh Ericka, it sounds like your day could be a page from my book. Your poor girl. She is really beautiful. Good luck.

Aaron and Amber said...

Just wait until she's seven and missing three teeth in front all at the same time. Hockey player is right!