So a couple weeks ago, I posted about my longing for a new, functional vacuum. Last night, thanks to my thoughtful mother and my wonderful best friend, the KSL classifieds, my dream finally came true!
I coerced my mother into buying us a vacuum for Christmas and have been searching high and low all over the internet for weeks for just the right one. I was secretly hoping for a Dyson, but I know how pricey they are and couldn't get myself to fork out the $300 + for something I hate doing. My mom was willing to go up to $200, so a Dyson would mean digging into my own wallet, and that is something I don't do very easily.
After much research and deliberation, I almost bought the Dyson DC14 from Kohl's, on sale for $275. Then I chickened out. Then I almost bought the Hoover Platinum from Bed Bath and Beyond for $250, and chickened out again. They both just seemed a bit big and bulky, and that is something I really don't want. I already struggle mightily when pushing around my old Dirt Devil, and I wanted something easy. I wanted something light. I wanted something quiet. I wanted something with incredible sucking power. I wanted functional attachments. I wanted something that looked plain awesome. All for under $200. I didn't think I was being too picky.
So I thought that before I went and plunked down a huge chunk of change for a new vacuum, I'd check KSL for a slightly used Dyson and see what I could find. And there it was. A vision in plastic. The Dyson DC18 Slim for a mere $150. Something must be wrong, I thought. Maybe it had been refurbished. Maybe it was 3 years old. Maybe it had been used to vacuum up the cremated remains of someone's cat and was sure to be haunted. Thus, I didn't call. I e-mailed instead.
A few hours later the guy called me back and gave me the scoop on the vacuum. He was a Kirby salesmen who had taken this on trade. The couple had owned it for about 4 months when they decided to go with a Kirby, so they traded it in. These things sell for $450 on Amazon and rarely go on sale. The couple had paid full price for it, brand new, and it looks fabulous! I asked him if I could come see it, and he was like, "Well, I live in West Jordan and will be driving by Herriman, how about I just bring it to your house and you can try it out." I agreed, knowing full well he was going to try and sell me a Kirby while at it, but at least I would get to look at the vacuum in the comfort of my own home and not have to drag 3 kids all around town.
He came at about 8:30 pm with vacuum in hand. Nicest guy, didn't try to sell me anything else. He was basically like, take it if you want it, if not, no biggy. All the kids were already asleep by this point, so I was hesitant to turn it on. But it was so quiet! It moves like a hot knife though butter. The wand folds up into the handle and can reach as high as my vaulted living room ceiling! It isn't the Dyson ball, but kinda moves like one. It is light, it is powerful, it is quiet, I can clean all the stairs while it just sits awesomely at the bottom. It is perfection. So, without leaving my living room, I paid $150 for a 4 month old Dyson in the exact style I was looking for. I love you, KSL!!!!!
Google it if you want to see what I'm talking about. The Dyson DC18 Slim. Love it!
Thanks for the present, Mom and Dad!
Baby trey
14 years ago
7 comments:
so glad you got your dream vacuum. "so a Dyson would mean digging into my own wallet, and that is something I don't do very easily.", you and Jason are perfect for each other.
Congratulations on your new addition!
That is awesome! Way to find a great bargain. I'm surprised he didn't try to sale you a Kirby. I had a Kirby salesmen in my house for almost two hours one day. He was nice. He just wouldn't leave... I was like I don't have $900.00 to spend on anything, let alone a vacuum I don't need at the moment. He finally left without a sale, but I had clean stairs and a clean front room floor by the time it was all said and done. YAY for your great find.
CONGRATULATIONS! I love my Dyson...sounds like you made bank on this one!!
Congrats Erika. She's beautiful by the way, that new vacuum of yours. Feel free to come vacuum my house anytime.
Way to go! What an awesome find.
Your welcome.
This has been the easiest year for Christmas shopping I've ever had.
Can't wait to try that "baby out".haha
Post a Comment