As I was driving home from St. George today, I had a lot of time to think. This is an unusual circumstance for me, thinking while driving. I'm usually preoccupied with the sounds of Eli screaming, or Alayna and Isaac asking for more food, or Alayna and Isaac asking how much longer we have before we get where we're going, or the sound made by the half-eaten apple one of the kids has inevitably dropped as it rolls along the floor and thumps into the doors over and over again. I'm usually so focused on my desire to get the heck out of the car, or at least shove something into my ears to mute the sounds, I don't think much. But today, there were moments of peace inside my minivan. Outside was another story (think rain, snow, rain/snow mix, high winds, and lots of truckers), but inside, there was quiet. Eli slept for a whole 1 1/2 hours! Miracle of miracles, he never sleeps that long in the car! And while he slept, the older two listened intently to Mary Pope Osborn reading her fabulous Magic Treehouse books on CD. This gave me time to think.
What did I think about, you might ask? Rainbows, bunny rabbits, cheesecake, Blades of Glory, 80's techno-pop? No, none of those. I thought about my impending birthday. Heaven help me, I'm almost 30! All of my life I've been such a huge fan of summer. I love the sun, I love getting tan, I love playing outside all the day long, and I love that I have a summer birthday. Correction: I loved (past tense) that I have a summer birthday. Now, this whole upcoming birthday thing is completely tarnishing the whole "Yay, it's almost summer!" thing.
In a nutshell, I don't want to be 30. I don't want May to get here, because after May comes and goes, June rolls in. And as June is just about to roll out, I become old! I feel my youth slipping through my fingers and I don't like that feeling. I know I'm probably jumping the gun a little bit, seeing as my birthday is still more than 2 months away, but we all know how fast those 2 months will fly. Before I know it I'll be 30-something, driving my minivan and humiliating my poor children with my complete lack of physical fitness and my affinity for wearing track suites in public. For the first time in my life, spring can go ahead and last a while. This year, I fear June.
Baby trey
14 years ago
8 comments:
Wait... 30 is old? Track suits aren't cool? Oh bother. Add that to my list of things to worry about. but not robots. Not anymore. http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/old-glory-insurance/229049/
Haha Erika--really it's not so bad. I don't know why, but for some reason I could've cared less about turning thirty this year. Maybe it was my dad's health in the midst of my 30th birthday, maybe it was the baby on the way--I don't know I just didn't care. I don't feel a bit different. I'm sure you'll turn thirty very gracefully :)
How do you think your dad & I feel having a 30 yr old daughter?
Erika, I hyperventilate about turning 30 too. Turning 30 isn't so bad, but my brain automatically skips a decade and I realize that 40 is not that far off and that makes me want to cry. I already have wrinkles, gray hair that's screaming for a dye job (and not one of those ones from high school where we just wanted to see what we'd look like as red heads) and I have no patience for those crazy high school/college kids who stay up till all hours of the night making noise.
But, then I get a grip and realize that it's ll gonna be okay, one way or another, and that no matter what, Erika will always be older than me. :)
Thirty is every bit as bad as you are supposing. Something magic happens to your body when you are thirty. I for one could no longer eat big mac or food from McDonalds in general with out having a belly ache after. Now when I hike or use my legs a lot my hip joins hurt. That's right...My hip hurts. Your body will start to fall apart once you hit thirty. So just expect it.
Sorry not to be all...oh, your fine...no reason not to want to be 30....there are many reasons, but there isn't a dang thing you can do about it, so enjoy your youth while it lasts. Eat as much junk food as possible.
You are hilarious! I hated turning 30 too. (I actually tell people I prefer not to say my age when they ask! ) You look great and I am sure you don't embarrass your kids!
I have to agree with Kristen on this one. Your body slowly starts to fall apart. I almost slapped my doctor when I asked him why I was getting skin tag on my neck and he said "Your aging, its part of getting old." If battery and assault were not illegal...
BTW, your insurance goes up when you turn 30.
I'm right behind you Erika, and I'll admit it scares me too!
Post a Comment