Sunday, February 24, 2008

Scare of a Lifetime


So, as many of you know, our little Alayna gave us (well, me in particular) a major scare on Friday. She has been sick for a few days and has had a fever on and off. Well, Friday morning she wasn't feeling well, so I was rocking her in the recliner. She fell asleep after about 30 minutes of rocking, so I laid her down on the chair and went into the kitchen to get some work done. I checked on her a few times and everything was fine. After a few minutes, I thought I'd better go check on her again, and this time things were very much not fine. She was in the middle of a seizure. Her face and hands were blue and she was shaking. I picked her up(which I now know is a no no) and ran to get the phone. I called 911 and was absolutely hysterical to the poor operator. She finally stopped seizing but was having a hard time breathing. I could hear the ambulance, but it kept passing my street. When they finally found my street, they went to the wrong house. I had to leave my baby passed out on the living room floor and run into the front yard to wave them down. It was by far the most horrifying 10 minutes of my life! It was such a relief when then peramedics came in and got her on the oxygen. Ironically, it was the same guy who took us to Primary's when Alayna was just a baby! Long story even longer, we went to the ER and she had a bunch of awful tests done, but nothing was wrong. She just has a cold! We figure that this child just likes to be a little on the dramatic side, that or she really likes the men in uniform. Either way, it was really scary and something I don't ever want to see again. Our ward has been fabulous. We got calls from everyone, people are bringing us dinners, and the entire scout troop made her a giant sign and came to our house to check up on her. We are very lucky to live in such a wonderful neighborhood! Moral of the story: children's Tylenol is a mother's best friend! Other moral of the story: even though Alayna can be a challenge sometimes, we love her so much and can't stand the thought of ever losing her.

5 comments:

Taylor Family said...

Holy Crap, Erika! That has to be the worst feeling ever, I'm so sorry! I hope things are going okay now, I'll call you tomorrow.

Kristin Sokol said...

Hearing a story like this makes us all want to hug our children a little longer, a little tighter. We are just so glad things turned out so good and that it was only a scare. You have angels watching over your family.

Deirdra said...

It was good chatting and I'm so glad little Alayna is okay. Now she can continue to torment you :)

Misty said...

I am SO Sorry Babe! Is everything okay now? Is there anything we can do for you? That is a mother's worst nightmare.

Stacy Mike and Thalia Talbot said...

Erika...I totally sympathize.Kids bring the most joy and the most heartache when things aren't right with them. We love you guys! I am glad I found you through Deirdra! (: