Monday, June 30, 2008

Deep Thinking

OK, so I was tagged by my old college roommate Sarah, but went out of town and neglected to fulfill the tag. Then, when I got back, I noticed I had been tagged the very same tag by my ward friend Diana! Small blogging world, eh? So these are my own anwsers to some questions that are really too deep for my shallow little brain, but oh well. Here goes:

Name Three Joys
1. My adorable little family. They are my greatest joy, sorrow, happiness, fear, and frustration all rolled into one. But since nobody can make me laugh like my own two (soon to be three) children and I can't imagine a happy life without them, they are first on my list of joys.

2. Cookies. Well, any baked good or pastry would do, really. But cookies have always held a special place in my heart. Next to my husband and kids, nothing can make me smile like a full plate of freshly baked cookies just for me.

3. Summertime. I love everything and anything associated with summertime. Snow cones, baseball games, 4th of July, splash parks, BBQ, warm nights talking to neighbors, shorts, being able to take my kids outside whenever I feel like it, everything! I must admit, this summer is a little less enjoyable than most, me being 25 pounds heavier and sweating like a truck driver on a vinyl seat, but still, I am a child of the sun!

Three Fears
1. I am afraid of my children growing up. I really want to keep them small and innocent and under my protection forever. I am afraid to send them to school, to see them be disappointed, to watch them turn into pimply, angry, scary teenage people, and to not have them around me all the time. I know it's weird since my kids are still so young, but I really am scared to see them grow up!

2. Amusement Parks. Amusement parks terrify me. Just pulling into the parking lot of, say, Lagoon, makes me want to throw up because I'm just sure that someone is going to try and force me onto a ride that will take me high into the air and then send me shooting towards Earth like a bullet from a gun. The last time we went to Lagoon, Jason made me ride the Wild Mouse and I cried like a baby from start to finish. Eight year olds were comforting me. To be perfectly honest, I am also a bit scared of Disneyland, but I can't tell that to my kids. I don't want them thinking their mom is a pansy.

3. Sickness. Germs don't necessarily scare me during the summer, which may be another reason I like summer so much, but during the cold and flu season, I live in fear. I am constantly worried that my kids are going to catch some aweful bug that will lead to throwing up, fevers, or hospitalization. And with a new baby coming right at the beginning of RSV season, I am already shaking in my flip flops. Don't expect to see much of me from October thru March this year!

Three Goals
1. To play more with my kids. I know my kids general needs are taken care of, but I'd like to be that mom that plays with them regardless of the state of the kitchen. I want them to look back on their childhood with fond memories of fun activities and I want to be part of those memories.

2. To one day have a perfectly green lawn with no weeds in it. My lawn is my constant struggle in life. The weeds, the dead patches, the whole backyard in general...one day it will all look fabulous.

3. To get to the Temple more often. Ya know, at least once a year :)

Three Obsessions
1. Cleaning my house. I know this contradicts my number one goal, but I am obsessed with having a clean house. Not necessarily sanitized clean, but picked up, wiped down, swept and mopped. I hate having things on the floor, laundry piled up, and most of all, a messy kitchen. I clean most of the day all day, not that it shows, but I am constantly striving for cleanliness.

2. Making lists and/or schedules. Order is my passion.

3. The internet. I love blogging, shopping online for things I'll never buy, reading the news, watching the weather, and being able to see what Britney Spears is up to as soon as the news breaks. That Al Gore sure deserved the Nobel Prize for his fabulous invention!

Three Random Facts
1. Grocery shopping makes me crazy.

2. I was banned by one of my Relief Societies from every using a sewing maching again after breaking three of them during a Super Saturday (the sewing machine insident of '03).

3. I can't ride a bike - balance issues.

Sorry to put you all through that. I now tag my sister-in-laws. You know who you are!

9 comments:

Di said...

Very funny AND informative. I'm actually pretty proud that I already knew most of that stuff about you. Oh, except that you fear Disneyland...Erika, Erika.

Taylor Family said...

What, you can't ride a bike? Did we never go out bike riding as kids, I swear we did. One obsession I share with you is list making. I think being a teacher and having a ready supply of Post-It notes fueled the obsession, and now my home isn't complete without sticky notes on the fridge.

Erika W said...

To clarify, I am not scared of the characters or kiddy rides in Fantasyland, but I am scared of people trying to get me to ride things like Splash Mountain and Space Mountain. Pirates also makes me nervous because of that awful dip right at the first, but I cowboy up and ride it anyway. Really, I love Disneyland as a whole. It's those few rides that I fear.

As for bike riding Sarah, I was able to ride bikes in my youth and did so all the time. But as I've gotten older I really have no balance. I can barely walk a straight line, let alone balance on two wheels. Jason's tried to reteach me but to no avail. Thus I keep my feet firmly planted on the ground.

Sterling said...

Alas! someone who sees through the sheer insanity that we all know (and some claim to adore) as Lagoon. I bitterly despise the place for your same reasons. I would bet if they put a ride in one year where you dive off of a cliff to your ultimate destruction, you would see frenzied people lining up all bug eyed and giddy saying to each other "I CAN'T WAIT!!!! HOLY GOSH DARN CRAP (Don't forget this IS in Utah) I AM SOOOO EXCITED" And they would all take their turns jumping off and you would see two or three people on each arm dragging sane people like you and I towards the cliff saying "Come on! It will be fuuuuunnnnnnnn! Don't be a baby!"

Di said...

Hey Erika, I'm I crazy (don't answer that) or did you just have a birthday???

Di said...

am I?

Erika W said...

No, you aren't crazy, Diana. Well, not too crazy, anyway. My birthday was on the 30th. And yes, Jason brought me home my very own bundt cake (white chocolate rasperry this time) and it was fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that you had such a fear of amusement parks. Just the other day I sent Jay an email inviting you guys to Aggie Day at Lagoon! Ha! One time I went on a date to Lagoon with a guy (who shall remain nameless in order to protect identity and manhood) who hates rides. It makes him physically ill to get on a ride, even the kiddie rides. He did not tell me this before we went. We could have saved a couple of bucks and gone to the movies instead!!!!

Destination Davis said...

LOL!!! Raise the roof for that Al Gore!!!