Labor Day weekend was designated as my "mommy time" weekend. I had all sorts of plans to get rid of my family for a few days and do some things just for me. Jason was generous enough to allow me all the time I wanted away from the kids so that I could feel refreshed and rejuvenated and ready to have another one. Unfortunately, I didn't choose my "mommy time" activities very wisely.
First of all, I will never again go to Swiss Days being 8 1/2 months pregnant. I've never been before and thought it would be a fun little outing, so I called a friend of mine from high school and the two of us headed up to Midway child-free. What we thought was going to be a fabulous day of freedom and shopping turned into a bit of a nightmare as soon as we pulled into the "parking lot" and saw the gigantic line of people just waiting to board the shuttle. We parked next to a huge heap of dirt, concrete, and wooden pallets and made our way to the line. After standing in ankle deep weeds in the very hot sun for about 15 minutes, we finally made it onto a shuttle. We did have to stand for the ride, but at least we were on.
When we arrived at our destination I was totally overwhelmed by all the masses. I have never seen so many people at a craft fair! Honestly, is there really that huge of a demand for magnet boards and beaded jewelery? Apparently so. There really was a lot of neat stuff to look at and it was really cool to see just how talented so many people are, but it would have been a lot more fun minus a couple thousand bodies. I myself, on the verge of heat stroke, almost succumbed to the temptation to purchase a painted magnet board, giant wooden wall clock, and a watch made of large silver beads. I overcame the handmade temptations and settled for a scone the size of my head. It was yummy!
In the end, the only things I came home with were a bag full of free Swiss stuff from the Information Booth and a headache.
Oh, and did I mention that my friend's niece and nephew ended up riding home with us? Ya, our "kid-free" day was tainted a bit when Jenni's sister decided to pawn her kids off on us right before we left the festival. They are darling kids and it wouldn't have been so bad if the youngest one hadn't thrown up all over the place - twice - on the drive home. Next time I think I'll take my "mommy time" at the spa.
As a finale to the Labor Day "mommy time" I was able to go out to lunch with my mother-in-law and all my sisters-in-law on Monday. We always go out to lunch right before someone has a baby and I got lots of cute little baby boy gifts. I'm getting so excited to have this little guy! I'm not ready by any means and really need these next few weeks to prepare the house and kids, but I'm excited.
After our delicious lunch at Olive Garden (the best part by far was the Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake for dessert!) I decided to go over to the mall. Jason took the kids to see Kung Fu Panda at the dollar theater so I had some time to kill. Who knew that Labor Day was one of the major shopping days of the year - not me! That place was insane! I don't know if it was the holiday or the Jerry Lewis Telethon taking place by the fountain, but it was madness! I did manage to buy some Bath and Body soap before making my escape, but it certainly wasn't the nice relaxing stroll around the mall that I was hoping for.
I don't know if I'm just extra annoyed at everything (especially large crowds) because I'm pregnant or if this corner of the state is simply getting too crazy. Either way, it may be time to move to somewhere more remote, like Beryl. Something to think about.
9 comments:
i'm pretty sure someone should have given you their seat on shuttle bus!
Someone tried, but I declined. I wanted to see what kind of balance I still have, thought it would be more fun that way. I must say, I did pretty well!
I feel like I could use some mommy time right now, and I'd even settle for being allowed to use the bathroom by myself, and if I'm really getting crazy, maybe I could take a bath without a cute, yet very bossy child knocking and crying outside the door. Oh well. Someday lets leave town and go to a resort/spa with all the girls. Maybe in like 20-30 years when all our kids are grown and perhaps we'll be able to afford it. Pencil that in, okay!
Erika look at you all eight-months and energetic! I am very impressed. I am sorry your plans went awry, but hey sounds like you got some good food!
Count me in, Sarah! And Diana, I really don't have a lot of energy but I'm working through it. I can't let the summer go by without doing everything I want to do. But trust me, after all the playing, I have no energy left to "nest".
I went to Swiss days too! We went on a mommy getaway with High school friends. It was sooo hot! Shopping in Park City was insane too! Sometimes I want to move to the middle of nowhere at times like that, but I think in reality I would hate it. I also hate traffic and construction! Good luck with the baby! Maybe he'll come early!
I would have thought that the words "Craft" and "Fair" used in conjunction with each other to describe a single event would have been warning enough. That's just me though. I also have the problem of replacing words I hear in my head with other words that I associate that word with. Like the word "Craft" sounds very much the same except my mind removes the F and the T from the end of the word and replaces it with a P. And Fair, I just think of Carny folks, a bearded lady, a rickity ferris wheel and kids throwing up cotton candy and hot dogs. Sounds like you got the puking kids part.
so...I've been wondering if I am ready to get pregnant with baby # 3....this post reminded me how hard pregnancy is...and how cranky I could get (haha J/K) maybe I'm not ready yet...but I'm sure excited to see baby boy Wardle soon...I'm glad you're keeping busy while the final stretch winds down! You're awesome Erika! I've been to Swiss Days once - not sure I'll be going back either.
All I have to say is that that was a funny post. It made me laugh and laugh. I hope you get a little real time of your own before the little man comes. Good-luck with everything. Sorry I found your misery so comical. I love ya!
Post a Comment