Oh, the holidays. I don't know about you, but I dread the next two months. I feel guilty for it, but I dread the holidays just the same. I dread coming up with cheap yet untacky neighbor gifts. I dread going out in freezing temperatures just to be bombarded by large, pushy, uncivilized crowds of people all fighting over the same Chinese-made toys. I dread wrapping presents. I dread the thought of having to make sugar cookies with my children, yet I have to do it because it's "tradition." Do you realize how long it takes to make good sugar cookies? Last year on sugar cookie day, as we were rolling out the dough and making fabulous holiday shapes to put on the cookie sheets, my dear sweet Isaac thought that a cookie shaped like his ear would be a great idea. So, when I was out of the room for a split second, he picked up about half of the cookie dough, smashed it in his sweaty little hands, and then mushed the whole lot of it in his ear. I ended up with a lot of unedible cookies and a boy who needed dough removed from his ear.
This year I feel even more stressed than ever. For one, our hospital bills are just now arriving. Plus, I have a newborn to tote around the stores in addition to the other two kids. And do you know what my daughter wants for Christmas? A pink T-Rex! Where do I find a pink T-Rex?! Barbies I can find. Princess stuff I can find. But I pink T-Rex presents a bit of a challenge.
Don't get me wrong. I do love all the holiday snacks and the smell of cider and Christmas trees. I love family parties and giving presents. I love how well my children behave because they know that Santa's watching. I do love Christmas. It's the months leading up to Christmas I don't particularly enjoy. Anyone else feel the same? Any good ideas for coping with pre-holiday stress? Any idea where I can find a pink T-Rex?
Baby trey
14 years ago
10 comments:
Maybe you could phase out traditions you don't like and start new traditions. I know what you mean, though. Dave's sister in law called him about a month ago in the middle of a work day to ask him what he wanted for Christmas. He told her to get off his phone. As for the T-Rex, I'd wait. My kids change their minds so fast and phases come and go. By Christmas day it's quite possible she'll forget about it. But you totally want to get it for her, right? Even though you know she'll play with it for half a day and then never look at it again, right? Why do we do that?
well honey.... I have a few solutions for you.... Just for fun I goggled "pink t-rex" (which I would NOT advise by the way) and found t-rex earings on pink studs, A pink t-rex magnet and also a diagram of how to adorn your face with a painted pink t-rex. There is also a lady who knits vests with pink t-rexes on them. I guess you aren't the only mother out there with this dilemma. My solution would be just buy a t-rex and a can of pink spray paint and go to town. What more could a little girl ask for? ... best of all if her favorite color changes you just go out and buy another 2 dollar can of spray paint. You totally make me giggle.
I think I may just buy a dollar store dinosaur and paint it pink. Or I could always buy her a Barney doll - pink/purple, same diff. I also googled pink t-rex and mostly found t-shirts.
I did an image search and found out that a lot of xxx.com images popped up... I didn't even know that there was such a thing as xxx. maybe I need to have Dave adjust my security settings... you think?
Erica, I feel the same way about Christmas, it has gotten totally out of control. It was fun seeing you out the Halloween carnival. You have a cute family!
Yes, we are going to be in St. George for Thanksgiving so we'll definitely have to get together for a little bit.
I was read your post to my mom, you are hilarious!, and she said to sew one. I couldn't do it, but if you can or have somebody around that is up to it, it could work. Congrats on your new little guy! We just had our third little boy on the 21st.
You do crack me up. It's all the fun things leading up to Christmas that help make it so fun. Someday your kids will remember the fun traditions you do and you'll tell them about the ear incident and you'll all get a good laugh. Just simplify...buy sugar cookies dough or just by sugar cookies and frost them or something (or just buy those great already frosted cookies from the store and eat them--that's a good tradition;)).
I know, you're a girl and so you don't really want my free advice so I'll stop now. I'll just empathize, we all understand. You should have a good cry and then just do the best you can...and if you cry while eating a delicious store bought frosted sugar cookie you'll probably feel even better. You have a newborn and that makes you a super-mommy!
Clark Griswald asked the same question of his father Clark Griswold Sr. and his reply was "I get by with a little help from Jack Daniels" While I wouldn't condone drinking, on a related note, I would remind you that the stores break out the cases of egg nog.
Something else that I discovered recently is the day after thanksgiving sales events. When they say "event", they do mean event! It is not the merchandise I go for. it is for the pure spectator enjoyment. It is just how I would imagine an LA riot would be if you found yourself involved. I absolutely love seeing a frantic mom, still in her pajamas, no makeup, hair still tangled. Her husband is still in his slippers and is groggily staggering behind. her face is red and the veins in her neck are bulging. She has a cart precariously loaded and her face is 2 or 3 inches from her husband's and she is shouting "YOU GO TO AISLE 37 AND GET THE TOASTER OVEN, A GREEN SPATULA AND THE WOK! I AM GOING TO GO FIND THE DVD PLAYER ON SALE GO!!! GO!!!! GO!!!" He staggers, stands up straight, yawns, rubs his eyes and weakly waves bye to her as he shuffles away, scratching his behind as he scoots along. It's like this in every direction I can see. Some people have the store mapped out and have the bargains marked with big red X's, others scurry around in a mad frenzy snatching up anything and everything. It is AWESOME! You get bored and you move on to the next store. New scenery, different people. Same chaos. Makes my holiday season a great one every time!
Erika, You crack me up! I miss you guys! You're kids are so cute and growing fast. Eli is a cutie pie! I WAS excited for this time of year, but you reminded me of a lot of things I had forgotten about! I'll keep my eye out for that pink T-rex for you. Keep in touch! Jamie S.
Post a Comment