Saturday, December 20, 2008

12 Days of Christmas Tag

I don't usually do tags anymore because, well, I really don't have time for anything but online shopping. I saw this one on my neighbor's blog, though, and thought it would be fun for the holidays. Besides, my brain hasn't been working properly lately and doing this tag is easier than thinking up my own original post.

One Amusing Christmas Memory: Our first Christmas together, I asked Jason to get me a new USU sweatshirt and a baseball glove so we could play catch (weird, I know). We came down from Logan on Christmas Eve to spend Christmas with Jason's family and we had lots of fun playing games, eating, you know, the usual Christmas activities. I was so excited to be spending this first Christmas together as a married couple and went all out filling his stocking and getting him some aweome presents, including a new camping tent. Well, as we woke up on Christmas morning I hurried in to check my stocking, which was always my favorite part growing up. Low and behold, there was nothing in it! Apparently he didn't realize HE was supposed to do that. I guess he thought Santa would take care of it. As it turns out, he did get me all those things I wanted, but he also bought a new sweatshirt for himself and wrapped it, a new glove for himself and wrapped it, and some other stuff he wanted. Between all the gifts I got Jason and all the stuff he got himself, it turned out to be a pretty lucrative Christmas for him! Over the years he's developed into a much more thoughtful gift giver, thank heavens!
Two Reasons Santa Chooses to Enter through the Chimney:
1.He doesn't want to have to pick up reindeer poop off people's front lawns.
2.He understands that his chances of being picked up by the police and thrown in the slammer for home invasion robbery would greatly increase upon attempting to enter through a window or back door.
Three Things I want for Christmas:
1.A new digital camera
2. 8 hours of sweet, peaceful, uninterrupted sleep
3. A 6 month supply of Magic Erasers
Four Favorite Christmas Movies:
A Christmas Story, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, Charlie Brown Christmas, Mr. Krueger's Christmas
Five Ways I've Been Naughty This Year:
1. Too much online shopping (curse you KSL and Amazon!!!)
2. Eating 5 x my weight in Chick-Fil-A combo meals
3. Only vaccuming the downstairs once a month (seriously)
4. Sneaking all the good stuff out of the kids' Halloween buckets
5. Dusting the computer with one of Jason's socks (hey, it was all I had handy)
Six Ways I've Been Nice This Year:
1. I took the kids to the park this summer way more than I really wanted to.
2. I had a baby (that was very nice of me)
3. I pretended to be interested in various sports just to make Jason happy.
4. I made it to church on time at least 5 times
5. I'm doing various things to save our family money i.e. pumping, teaching preschool, cutting Alayna's hair on my own, wearing crappy old clothes, driving a car that's a little too small for our family, buying things off of KSL, etc.
Seven People I suspect are Elves:
Shawn Johnson, Ross Perot, Clay Anderson, Will Ferrell, Brook Walker from Studion 5, my niece Alyssa, Kendall (one of the 4th graders from my first year of teaching)
Eight of Santa's Reindeer:
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen
Nine Uses for Snow:
numbing pain, eating, throwing, kicking, sleeping in, making tracks, sledding, drinking water in emergency situations, torturing your little sister/brother by putting it down his/her shirt or up a nostril
Ten Least Favorite Things about Christmas:
spending hangovers, driving in snow, crazed shoppers, women wearing red velour track suits, 2 months of Christmas songs, coming up with the most creatively wonderful neighbor gifts to delight and surprise all the neighbors with, addressing Christmas cards, finding decent family pictures to put on said Christmas cards, football bowl games, planning Alayna's birthday party while trying to put together a picture perfect family Christmas
Eleven Word Associations to "Figgy Pudding":
buggy pushing, piggy, noodles, jiggly, iffy, putting, Iggy, digging, dumplings, fudgy, Jell-o
Twelve Favorite Things about Christmas:
the smell of cinnamon, hot cider or chocolate, finding good deals, advent calendars, using Santa to manipulate my kids into behaving, singing Christmas songs, funny things my kids want from Santa, parties with friends and family, homemade goodies on the kitchen counter, colorful decorations, decorating the tree, stories of good will and love, watching the wonder and excitement in my kids eyes
Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!

7 comments:

Spencer and Amy Shumway said...

Erika,
I love your blog. You are too honest about Jasons socks and your first Christmas! I had a great laugh. Also I am grateful that I am not the only one going crazy with four boys. They are starting to really get into wrestling and the noise level is deafening.

Oh yes...eight hours of straight sleep. What is that? I cannot even comprehend it anymore. :)

Best Wishes from our family to your! Amy Shumway

Chrystal said...

What a fun tag. Your figgy pudding associations were really good! Good job on all the thrifty-ness you've exhibited! MERRY CHRISTMAS back!

Taylor Family said...

When you mentioned people you suspect are elves, did you mean Clay Aiken? Maybe I just have no idea who Clay Anderson is, but I think Clay Aiken is pretty "elfish". I loved your "First Christmas" story, I would never let him live that one down.

Erika W said...

Clay Anderson lives down the street from us. Though now that you mention it, Clay Aiken would make a good elf, too.

Di said...

LOL! Clay is totally an elf! I loved all of your answers- well done! And I also enjoyed your neighbor gift. We had the soup yesterday for lunch and it was delightful! Since I am a total slacker this year and did not do neighbor gifts OR Christmas cards, I just wanted to say Merry Christmas! I am so glad you are my friend and neighbor! I hope you have a lovely holiday, and get that eight hours of sleep you so deserve :)

Annie said...

oh erica, we could share stories! luckily dan has learned too. one day you'll have to ask him what he did for christmas last year, and our first valentines! i've learned to just say what it is i really want...merry christmas! i hope your 8 hours of sleep is what you really get!

Deirdra said...

I remember hearing about your 1st Christmas. Reading it again cracked me up. I also want at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep, I'd prefer 10 :)